Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Swiss Grill

The Swiss Grill – 587 Bukit Timah Road, Coronation Plaza #01-05


As I’ve mentioned before, the humble burger is quite likely my favourite food. No, not that Burger King Whopper or McDonald’s double cheeseburger that invariably pops into the minds of most; I’ve moved somewhat beyond the charred, greasy offerings at run-of-the-mill fast food franchises. Better burger joints have thankfully been taking root on this lump of rock recently, allowing me to satisfy my craving for a quality patty of juicy, medium-rare beef.


Now, I can’t think of a better place for good beef - and thus burgers - than at a butcher’s. The Swiss Butchery obviously thought along the same lines when they conceptualised The Swiss Grill, a burger bar attached to their outlet at Coronation Plaza. Their burgers are extremely reasonably priced for the sheer quality you’re getting and it was not lost on me that they weighed and wrapped my massive order of brisket (I’ll blog about my kosher extravaganza soon) while I was having my brunch. A meal for two set us back just over $40, roughly deducting the cost of the beef from a conveniently combined bill.



IMG_6957


I zeroed in on the Burger with the Lot ($14.90); no hungry carnivore could resist a name so simultaneously blunt and seductive. A massive masterpiece of bacon rashers, runny sunny-side-up eggs, creamy cheddar, tangy gherkins and a grilled patty of premium chuck beef; I had barely the restraint to photograph this beauty before tucking in. The robust beefiness of the moist, compact patty swept me away from the first bite while the successive waves of garlicky aioli, crispy bacon and an explosion of gooey yolk kept me munching away till I was shocked to find myself licking juice from the fingers of empty hands. The wonderfully thick fries were crisp on the outside with a generous mealy-moist interior, soaking up any drippings for an unglamorous and sinful treat. Few things in life can be so pleasure-packed to make my typically fastidious nature evaporate in such a fashion.



IMG_6963


My dining partner went for the somewhat unusual Lamb Burger ($15.90), its lean mince sourced from the leg cut. Done to a lovely, juicy medium rare, the burger’s potentially overpowering ovine flavours were coaxed into submission by a wonderfully herby mustard. Crowning this bit of gastronomic engineering was a delightful combination of sweet balsamic-pickled onions, bacon and subtle Gruyere.



IMG_6967


Ever health-conscious, my dining partner opted for a special order of Sautéed Vegetables ($8.90) which was not exactly on the menu, instead of the typical sides. The diverse melange of roasted bell peppers, zucchini, crisp and sweet onions as well as plump grilled cherry tomatoes was mercifully guiltless after our otherwise indulgent meal.



IMG_6969


1 comment:

  1. Yes it is really nice to eat at the Swiss Butchery. Their chef is really knowledgeable in making excellent food and I think they are using one of the finest Swiss Grills that is why they are able to create a perfectly grilled food.

    ReplyDelete