Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Smokeinnfrogz

Smokeinnfrogz - 879 Cherry Avenue, Bukit Timah


Beer garden by night, bistro by day; this cosy little eatery zeroes in on typical male (gastronomical) desires. Offering quintessential man-fare like burgers or fish and chips, it fills the sorry dearth of unapologetically unrefined and oh-so-gratifying pub grub. At $31, my lunch at Smokeinnfrogz was an absolute steal too!


The brew on offer for the day was Blue Tongue Premium Lager or Light ($5 for any 2 bottles). The lager was crisp on the tongue and had a clean finish - just like my favourite Stella Artois - thus perfect to wash down anything and cleanse the palate. The light had an even more subtle flavour but steered well clear of the wateriness that afflicts many lesser light beers.


IMG_8236


I opted for the Homemade Beef Burger with Cheese ($13) which has garnered a cult following since a newspaper review published awhile back. Retaining that coarse, mealy feel of the mince from which it was constructed; the patty made it immediately clear that I was sinking my teeth into a REAL beef burger. The cheese and lettuce garnish simply faded into near-imperceptibility next to that carnivorous glory.


IMG_8238


Another wildly popular offering on the menu would be the Beer Battered Fish & Chips ($13). The moist, meaty and creamy flakes of fish had a golden brown sheath that was crispy, light and not at all oily. A generous smear of garlicky aioli on the thick-cut fries plunged me into a storm inarticulate pleasure.


IMG_8239

2 comments:

  1. Blue Tongue Beer!! I believe I first saw them in Gosford, Central Coast (2 hours' train ride from Sydney). When you get here, I should probably take you to Manly at least once - ate a pretty darn good burger there last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so looking forward to beer and burgers over there! I do find it hard to believe that a girl with a waist as slim as yours has ever eaten a burger though. =P

    Btw, are you on skype? I'm trying to piece together a contact list!

    ReplyDelete