Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mucho’s

Mucho’s – Shop 9/50 Glebe Road, The Junction, Eastpoint, Newcastle


Mucho Shopfront


I think I’ve made it pretty clear how much I adore Mexican cuisine on several occasions now, and the fact that Mexican food is so hard to find back in Singapore just makes a good Mexican meal that much more special to me. As such, I was elated to discover my sister’s new in-laws counted this eatery as their firm favourite; despite the innumerable pie shops and gorgeous seafood available in their native Newcastle. I certainly know why after having dinner there, the selection is a mind-boggling and everything is nothing short of fantastic.


Mucho Menu


We started off with a Combination Dip ($20.90) of chili con queso that was thick with a rich kidney bean mash, frijole that achieved a delicious balance of richness and tanginess as well as an incredibly smooth and rich guacamole. The avocados here are truly as plentiful as they are beautiful, making perfect guacamole possible. Each dip came in its own cup-shaped nacho which went to whoever reacted first once the nachos were polished off.


Combi Dip


All is not lost if one cannot decide between each of the individual mains like I was. Combinations are available which merge smaller portions of different dishes for greater variety. Feeling carnivorous as usual, I opted for Combination 60 ($20.90) which let me try not only the beef tostada and beef taco but a beef and cheese enchilada as well, all on a bed of fluffy rice. The enchilada should be polished off immediately before it turns soggy and with its sheath of cheese still semi-molten, pulling apart in gooey strands to reveal a moist interior of artfully spiced shredded beef – no mince here - in a fog of beef juice steam. The crunchy beef taco was overflowing with more of that wonderfully spiced shredded beef, flamboyant yet not overpowering the intrinsic flavour of the meat it locked in a delicious dance on your palate. The tostada was the most subdued of the lot in terms of flavour, wowing instead with the variety of textures from crunchy corn-chip shell to crisp lettuce, grainy shredded cheese and yielding strands of beef.


Combi 60


Another to look out for is the Combination 62 ($20.50) for it includes the beef chimichanga in addition to a chili con carne and rice. Easily the star of the menu, the chimichangas have so much flavour in such a crisp little parcel; it’s like having a bomb going off in your mouth with each bite. The fried tortilla was light and crunchy, the complete opposite of the weighty, hearty beef and cheese filling.


Combi 62


I could not resist a Classic Margarita ($9.90) to wash all that deliciousness down. Generously tart and refreshing, it had wonderfully smooth and fine ice crystals that melted so readily in my mouth I never detected the brainfreeze till it hit me. I appreciated that it was not sweet at all for I can rarely make it through the sugar-syrup laden concoctions commonly found in pubs and bars.


Classic Margarita


The Watermelon Margarita ($9.90) was not quite as wonderful though. Lacking the citrus pizzaz, it came across as somewhat flat-tasting after the spunky lime. Much, much sweeter besides; I came to the conclusion that this subtly-flavoured fruit is still best eaten in its naturally occurring form.


Watermelon Margarita

No comments:

Post a Comment