Sunday, April 11, 2010

Burger Binge

I’ve been having an inexplicable craving for a good burger all week that I finally had to satisfy. As such – despite having a pressing commitment I’ll be blogging about later – I made a stop at two burger joints along the Orchard Road belt for a spot of take-away carnivorous gratification.


Burger, Bench & Bar - 8 Grange Road
#01-02 Cathay Cineleisure Orchard


You've gotta love the letter B... beef, babes and bingeing all come together at Burger, Bench and Bar at Cathay Cineleisure level 1. A minimalist dining area of pale wood and creamy tiled tables marks it as a reasonably-priced, fuss-free place to dine. Managed by a small crew of exceptionally attractive girls, I'm sure this place has its fair share of male regulars; with me possibly being the latest addition. Pity I was pressed for time and couldn't stay to soak in the ambience, alas take-away will have to suffice this time.


B3


When I asked for what would be their signature burger, I was directed to the Mushroom Beef Burger ($8.20); a simple, winning combination of mushrooms, beef and cheese. The patty was moist, flavourful and well formed with large, discernible chunks of meat that provided good bite and stayed together. You could really taste the cow in it, no synthetic fillers here. The meat was an admirably uniform brown of well-done with good char, I prefer mine a juicier medium rare but this was great too! The burger was dressed simply with mildly sweet mayonnaise and cheese, a deliciously creamy if unexciting formula. I also appreciated that the lettuce was julienned as this neat freak hates nothing more than a piece of iceberg dangling from my mouth when I take a bite out of a burger. The mushrooms were a little on the chewy side though. Still, it was a more than decent burger with gorgeous packaging, and I'm not only referring to the chic hound’s-tooth carrier (pictured) when I say gorgeous! I'll definitely return for the scenery, dark chocolate soft-serve ice cream and famous potato crisps which I reluctantly left out as they would've turned soggy during the car-ride.



Mushroom


Botak Jones - 121 Somerset Road


The Massive ® Cheese (9.80) from Botak Jones serves to remind us - in an age of pretentious foie gras and truffle-dressed imposters - that the burger is an honest, satisfying, working-class institution. You couldn't get more no-frills than the take-away packaging of greaseproof paper and a Styrofoam box. The assembly put on no pretenses either; it was slapped together rather haphazardly with the patty off centre and the onions hanging out in all directions. However, amidst the disarray was a true tribute to the original burger concept. For one, the thing was massive! (It's thicker than the average phonebook.) If that's not enough to sway you, the architecture is proof that the people here know what they're doing. A layer of melted cheese between the juicy patty and the bread acts as a barrier ensuring that the top half-bun does not become soggy while a generous layer of onions, tomatoes and lettuce hold the fort at the base bun. I present to you - ladies and gentlemen - the quintessential burger!



Botak

No comments:

Post a Comment